February 1, 2011

Book Review: Choosing Naia

I picked up Choosing Naia while at the library searching for books for the Adoption Reading Challenge. Choosing Naia is a very detailed account of a family's choice to continue their pregnancy with a child prenatally diagnosed with Down Syndrome. The book is written by Mitchell Zuckoff, a Boston Globe reporter. Because of that, I think it is a bit more difficult to read. In addition to telling Naia's family story, the book includes significant information about the history of Down Syndrome and cumbersome medical knowledge. It is definitely not a light read.


I found it surprising that most parents of individuals with Down Syndrome do not have a prenatal diagnosis and are surprised at the child's birth.


What advocates of Down Syndrome may find difficult is that Naia's parents seriously considered terminating the pregnancy. The book also includes stories of families who did choose to terminate. While difficult to read, I felt that it was necessary as the story would not be so raw and honest without those testimonies. The book also shows the successes of many individuals with DS and the parents who chose to continue their pregnancies and raise their children.


While this is not an adoption book per se, I have been doing some heavy research on adoption of children with Down Syndrome. This book allowed me to broaden my perspective of DS.


Disclaimer:  I was not endorsed for reviewing this book.

1 comment:

  1. I did some major research on children with Down Syndrome when we were seeking to adopt a child with special needs. While we didn't end up adopting a child with Down Syndrome, we did adopt a child with a syndrome somewhat similar. A syndrome unknown to his birthparents until he was born and a pregnancy that would have been terminated had they known. I do not judge. If his birthparents didn't have him and make an adoption plan WE wouldn't have him, so I certainly can't condemn. I only wish the minority of parents who give birth to children of special needs who feel overwhelmed and inadequate knew there were OTHER options.

    ReplyDelete